Robert E. Howard's Influence On Metal Lyrics

Fans and Musicians who can't read/understand German but want to contribute to this page - here's your sacred place!

Here you can also find the official SNAKEPIT forum entries...

Robert E. Howard's Influence On Metal Lyrics

Beitragvon Cauldron_Born » 5. September 2011, 05:27

Here is the link to an article I wrote on Robert E. Howard's influence on lyrics in heavy metal. I originally wrote this for a speculative fiction website where there were some problems regarding the layout that I wanted,so I pulled it.

http://www.echoesofcromrecords.com/Swor ... usic_.html

Howie
Cauldron_Born
St.Anger-Gutfinder

BeitrÀge: 58

Re: Robert E. Howard's Influence On Metal Lyrics

Beitragvon Raf Blutaxt » 6. September 2011, 11:54

Interesting read, though you forgot quite a few REH influenced records and bands.

For example Keen of the Crow's album Hyborea should get a mention.
The people united can never be ignited.
Raf Blutaxt
Leather Lucifer

BeitrÀge: 8450

Beitragvon Cauldron_Born » 6. September 2011, 17:30

Raf Blutaxt hat geschrieben:Interesting read, though you forgot quite a few REH influenced records and bands.

For example Keen of the Crow's album Hyborea should get a mention.

Raf: Not so much "forgot" as didn't know about. With that article, I was more concerned about bands who refer directly to Howard's texts, not REH as a second hand influence.I just read Keen of the Crows lyrics. Keen Of The Crow's whole album is about the CONAN THE BARBARIAN movie,which did not stay with the stories REH wrote. For example,Thulsa Doom never was Conan's nemesis--he was the enemy of King Kull. And Thulsa Doom was a skull-faced lich-wizard,not a cult leader who could transform into a snake.
Someone mentioned Atlantean Kodex on one forum,and here was my reply:

"I will check those bands out. I was pretty specific with that article, in that I did not list bands like Atlantean Kodex(though,they are a very good band) because I reviewed their lyrics and there is nothing that directly refers to Howard's stories. The inspiration may have been there in spirit,and they may acknowledge Howard as an influence in interviews, but there is nothing there about his actual writings--sort of like Manowar."

I don't want to snub any of these bands,especially a band as good as Atlantean Kodex,but my article is about bands who were directly influenced by, and incorporate the elements of the REH texts into their songs.. I appreciate all of the suggestions,and will keep them on file for when I have time to revise my article, on down the road. I appreciate the fact that you read the article,and feel free to bring more bands to my attention. I think some people didn't even bother reading the article,they just skimmed over it and looked to see if they could find fault with who I left out,when they have read little to none of Howard's works. I am dreading the "Dude, you left Manowar out!" post that is coming sooner or later.

I wrote in the article that with the growing number of bands who are incorporating REH references into their lyrics,that I might have left some out. It is not an easy thing to write an article like this,but it is the most complete one up to this point,and I believe it is a step in the right direction. Thanks for reading.

Howie
Cauldron_Born
St.Anger-Gutfinder

BeitrÀge: 58

Beitragvon Raf Blutaxt » 7. September 2011, 00:46

Ok, I didn't recheck the lyrics, just remembered that the album was Conan themed.
Of course, the movie had not too much to do with the original stories, but things like Thulsa Doom from the Kull stories show at least that the people knew the source material, something I doubt in the case of the new movie.

You could consider Arkham Witch with their new album "On Crom's Mountain" for inclusion in your list, as well as maybe Kiuas with the song "Child of Cimmeria" from their album Reformation. The latter one is an instrumental track, so it's hard to say if it is based on REH directly.
The people united can never be ignited.
Raf Blutaxt
Leather Lucifer

BeitrÀge: 8450

ZurĂŒck zu English speaking SACRED METAL-Forum