Looking for an old album... CHASAR (reforming!!)

Fans and Musicians who can't read/understand German but want to contribute to this page - here's your sacred place!

Here you can also find the official SNAKEPIT forum entries...

Looking for an old album... CHASAR (reforming!!)

Beitragvon MorpheusRising » 21. Mai 2009, 12:05

Ideally I'd like to post this on the correct section but my German is too rusty to even make an attempt (and Babelfish spits out gobbledigook!) so I'll post here and see if anyone can help...

The guitarist in my first band was trained by Alec Pollock of CHASAR and through this connection I became interested in the band, a kind of Scottish NWoBHM version of early Rush for those who don't know them/remember them, and managed to get hold of their vinyl album from 1983... I've since gone through many stages of losing, selling, swapping my vinyl and seem to have misplaced this one :oh2:

I'd love to get my hands on another copy, especially as I've just heard from a friend of Alex's that they are currently planning to reform for some gigs later this year!!

If anyone could help, I'd be really grateful!!
Slainte!

Grae
MORPHEUS RISING
...resurrecting British Heavy Metal!

Join our mailing list here!
Follow us on Facebook and twitter (@MorpheusRising).
MorpheusRising
Linkin Park-FĂĽr-Metal-Halter

Re: Looking for an old album... CHASAR (reforming!!)

Beitragvon Sgt. Kuntz » 21. Mai 2009, 12:27

That's a hard one to find, but I know that Peter Daub has got a copy of the first CHASAR album, for 60€.

He is registered here as well, under the name of his label "Fils du Metal", so you can write him a PM.
Muss rispettieren die andere Kollega!
Sgt. Kuntz
Leather Lucifer

Beitragvon Helvetets » 21. Mai 2009, 12:32

I've just found the re-release here:

http://www.millennium-records.nl/vinyl. ... m&letter=c

But I believe you're looking for the original one...
Helvetets
Kuttenträger

Beitragvon MorpheusRising » 21. Mai 2009, 13:37

Cheers guys!!

Yes, I'd prefer the original, but if all else fails I'll settle for a re-issue .mhmpf:

Hopefully I'll be able to get to see them over the Summer, they've got two gigs confirmed!!

Thanks again.
Slainte!

Grae
MORPHEUS RISING

MorpheusRising

Beitragvon Prof » 21. Mai 2009, 14:33

MorpheusRising hat geschrieben:Cheers guys!!

Yes, I'd prefer the original, but if all else fails I'll settle for a re-issue .mhmpf:

Hopefully I'll be able to get to see them over the Summer, they've got two gigs confirmed!!

Thanks again.

There's actually two original vinyl pressings of this great later-period NWoBHM-album. If I'm correct, the second one on Mausoleum - with a different title and cover - is supposed to be a bootleg that caught the band completely by surprise. Maybe you can confirm this?
Anyhow, it's great to hear that Chasar are about to reform, a totally underrated band indeed.
Prof
Traveller

Beitragvon MorpheusRising » 21. Mai 2009, 15:59

Prof hat geschrieben:There's actually two original vinyl pressings of this great later-period NWoBHM-album. If I'm correct, the second one on Mausoleum - with a different title and cover - is supposed to be a bootleg that caught the band completely by surprise. Maybe you can confirm this?
Anyhow, it's great to hear that Chasar are about to reform, a totally underrated band indeed.

Yes, there was more than one pressing. the original vinyl from 1985 (the original format was a 1000 limited edition cassette in 1983) was the plain pale blue cover with the silver CHASAR logo in the centre (this was the one I had!), Muasoleum re-issued it (apparently without the band's knowledge) about 1987 with a different cover and called the album Gypsy Roller, which was the unofficial title of the blue version. (Still with me?)

Mausoleum also released it on CD a few years later and then (finally) in 2000 the album was re-released by Trax Studios who have also released an 'Official Bootleg' CD of demos and sessions for the second album which, unfortunately, never materialised (maybe next year?!).

I was lucky to be growing up in Scotland at this time and got to see bands such as CHASAR (and No Dice/Exit their successors) as well as Pallas* and various others, it's just a shame that EMI, who expressed an interest in both Pallas and Chasar, were only willing to back one band at the time and chose Marillion (supposedly as they were based nearer London?). I say it's a shame, but I must confess to being a huge Marillion fan, so I can live with it!

I'm hoping Chasar will end up playing more than just the two reunion gigs, mainly as I've just discovered that I've got a recording session with my own band on the first one, and I'm supporting GUN for the second!!

*I loved this band and had many of their demos/albums on cassette, I was also lucky enough to see them on one of their rare reunion gigs in the early 90's (before they started again with a vengeance)... they were stunning, simply brilliant! (That was the week before I saw Tredegar, but that's a different story!!)
Slainte!

Grae
MORPHEUS RISING

MorpheusRising

Beitragvon Prof » 21. Mai 2009, 18:54

Thanks for the background info, Grae. Honestly, neither the Trax nor the Mausoleum CD version of the Chasar-album has ever come to my attention. Perhaps I haven't tried hard enough?

I've got a few of the Pallas recordings on vinyl, The sentinel, with that baroque Patrick Woodroffe-sleeve art, being one of them. Solid British craftsmanship in a prog constellation, I'd say. Now please tell us about that Tredegar gig you attended. :smile2:
Prof
Traveller

Beitragvon MorpheusRising » 22. Juli 2009, 00:21

Well, would you believe it!

I moved house last week which meant I've had to clean out the attic and all those dark dusty places I've ignored for the past few years... and guess what I found?

Yip! My original copy of the Chasar album!! The God's are smiling today :)

Thanks for your help guys...
Slainte!

Grae
MORPHEUS RISING

MorpheusRising

ZurĂĽck zu English speaking SACRED METAL-Forum