HOA 2006

Fans and Musicians who can't read/understand German but want to contribute to this page - here's your sacred place!

Here you can also find the official SNAKEPIT forum entries...

Beitragvon big mouth » 17. Juli 2006, 11:25

So how was that new edition of HOA? Did ULYSSES SIREN reign supreme? How was the latest line up of METAL CHURCH? How killer was Brian Ross' set at the pre show? Was all the praise I did regarding VIRON acceptable?
TELL US YOU PEOPLE WHO WERE THERE!
big mouth
Progressive-Metal-Sammler

BeitrÀge: 419

Beitragvon Stormbringer » 17. Juli 2006, 19:04

Ulysses Siren were fucking awesome! Noth that many people when they started but it got pretty crowded pretty quick. And a cover of Destruction's classic The Ritual to boot! Top 3 for me together with Blitzkrieg and Metal Church without a doubt. I thought Metal Church were killer at Sweden Rock last month, but this time they were even better! I was kinda disappointed that Blitzkrieg played all Satan songs on the Saturday as well (+ the Judas Priest covers) resulting in the warm up show not being so special after all.

The fifth year for me at HOA and for me it was the weakest one by far, but still my fave festival for sure!
Stormbringer
St.Anger-Gutfinder

BeitrÀge: 53

Beitragvon Prof » 17. Juli 2006, 19:54

big mouth hat geschrieben: So how was that new edition of HOA? Did ULYSSES SIREN reign supreme? How was the latest  line up of METAL CHURCH? How killer was Brian Ross' set at the pre show? Was all the praise I did regarding VIRON acceptable?
TELL US YOU PEOPLE WHO WERE THERE!

Laurent, you were sorely missed at this year's HOA. Ulysses Siren RULED. They started off instrumentally with 'Leviathan', which was followed by scorching renditions of 'Above the ashes', 'The Reich', 'Terrorist attack' - and on and on it went! Torres and Co. were just totally intense, like back in the day when that infamous Bay Area crunch ruled the metal world. It was a thrashing monument to say the least. You will be able to hear it soon anyway, thanks to Thrash Dude Patrick. :) By the way, US did a crushing cover of Destruction's 'The ritual'. Now who would try a crazy thing like that!?

The Metal Church gig was equally amazing, despite the fact that essentials like 'Hitman', 'Battalions' and 'Merciless onslaught' (the song that used to drive my mom insane :D ) were missing from the setlist, as ever. However, I've seen them three times in a short while now and this was by far the heaviest, crunchiest and most inspired gig in the new line-up. Anyone who still has reservations because Kurdt is the only remaining original member can go to hell as far as I'm concerned - Ronny Munroe's frontman performance alone should silence all the nay-sayers! This charismatic man has screams galore and knows how to combine melody and aggression without overdoing either. That this gig was killer from beging to end was in no small amount due to the crowd, who worshipped the guys and sang along from the back to the front. Mind you, this was after two days filled with metal and beer - quite an accomplishment for a lot of the headbangers present.

I missed Viron, so I can't give you the details on that, but the Satan-gig was great as well, with classics like 'Trial by fire' and 'Blades of steel' to fire up things Thursday night. Ross, by the way, repeated some of the songs with Blitzkrieg late Saturday night.

One of the best performances this year, however, was by Dutch metallers Powervice, who managed to turn HOA 2006 into one huge old school metal party. If you just could've witnessed these five guys turn every second of their playing time into pure gold! It was their 50th gig, so drummer Ries told me a week or so ago, and they truly made it a memorable one. Incredible what they've achieved so far with only that brilliant 3-track 'Behold the hand of glory' demo out. Amazing how tight Powervice were as a band, but I guess you get quality and craftsmanship like that - if you're really talented - from playing 50 gigs in such a short period of time all over Europe. The singer was just stunning, with screams that were on par with Paul Di Anno's in 1981. To round off, they did a pounding version of Sabbath's 'Die young'. Metal just doesn't get any better than this.

As for the rest of the billing - Miles Beyond scored points with their Maiden-influenced brand of ultra-traditional tunes, fine Accept-guitar-posing included. And not many people who own the two albums by Order Of Nine could get into their performance (it was judged a bit too static), but I liked it anyway. Their stuff is a bit complex and moody for a festival like this, perhaps, but what the hell. I did miss the brilliant track 'Nameless' on the setlist, but, hey, you can't have everything.

Like last year, HOA was just great, even if the band playing at one time or another wasn't entirely to one's liking. The atmosphere alone is worth the trip and the (ridiculously low) price of admission. Can't wait to buy my ticket - made of METAL, and I'm not kidding here - for HOA 2007!!!
Prof
Traveller

BeitrÀge: 11845

Beitragvon Temple of Blood » 17. Juli 2006, 20:06

You guys shouldn't rub it in so much for us Americans. ;)

Seriously, that sounds incredible.
TEMPLE OF BLOOD - Intense PowerThrash Metal from the USA
New album "Overlord" out now!!! Features FORBIDDEN cover song!!!
http://www.myspace.com/templeofblood
http://www.templeofblood.net
Temple of Blood
Prog-Rock-Fan

BeitrÀge: 130

Beitragvon Prof » 17. Juli 2006, 21:15

Temple of Blood hat geschrieben: You guys shouldn't rub it in so much for us Americans. ;)

Seriously, that sounds incredible.

Well, ToB, YOU sure are worthy of playing at HOA - what more can I say?
Prof
Traveller

Beitragvon Guest_big mouth » 17. Juli 2006, 23:38

You guys makes me fuckin' depressed...I knew I would miss something serious with U. SIREN having championed them since '85 but hell I couldn't make it there...SHIT!

By the way according to what you said Prof, POWERVICE seems to be THE SURPRISE.... I should check 'em out? Do they have albums out? Demos? Can you describe exactly how they sound like -if that's possible?

How about the new METAL CHURCH album? I still don't know what to expect abouyt that new album..I have fears about this.... but maybe it's a real good one?!
Guest_big mouth

Beitragvon Prof » 18. Juli 2006, 10:25

Guest_big mouth hat geschrieben: You guys makes me fuckin' depressed...I knew I would miss something serious with U. SIREN having championed them since '85 but hell I couldn't make it there...SHIT!

By the way according to what you said Prof, POWERVICE seems to be THE SURPRISE.... I should check 'em out? Do they have albums out? Demos? Can you describe exactly how they sound like -if that's possible?

How about the new METAL CHURCH album? I still don't know what to expect abouyt that new album..I have fears about this.... but maybe it's a real good one?!

Sorry to answer so late, last night I keeled over from the heat and the usual post-HOA depression.

Well, the Euro mafia in Bruxelles really got the working man, right Laurent? This was the one festival I was able to attend this year, I can't afford more. The rest of the money (if there is any left at the end of the month) goes to privately pressed cd's.

Powervice are to be checked out ASAP! Their demo (3 superbly produced tracks, papersleeve cover, pressed CD) is only a fiver and available at their website. As to what they sound like: imagine a powerful version of Iron Maiden circa 1981 with Paul Di'Anno's younger brother on brilliant vocals and you get the picture. Here's the link: <a href='http://www.powervice.com' target='_blank'>Powervice</a>
Tell 'em we sent you. :)

And the new Metal Church album? Needless to say, 'A light in the dark' is a good album, with a few dragging passages here and there. In my opinion, ever since the cd-format came along, albums are often too long for their own good. Before cd, 40 minutes of quality music always did the trick, right?
Anyway, knowing your tastes in riffs and heaviness a bit from what you write in Snakepit, I think you'd be disappointed with 'A light in the dark', but do give it a listen anyway, the guys really deserve it. On stage, Ronny Munroe evokes David Wayne, although he doesn't need to - he's a great singer in his own right. Plus he has got personality, something lacking in quite a few singers these days.

Last but not least: there are some shots of the Ulysses Siren gig at this German website: <a href='http://www.metal-inside.de' target='_blank'>Metal Inside Pictures HOA 2006</a>
Click on 'Fotos' in the upper left bar.
Je te salue,

Oliver
Prof
Traveller

Beitragvon Temple of Blood » 18. Juli 2006, 20:15

Thanks for that link Oliver. I ordered that Powervice CD today. The MP3 from their website sounds great!
TEMPLE OF BLOOD - Intense PowerThrash Metal from the USA
New album "Overlord" out now!!! Features FORBIDDEN cover song!!!
http://www.myspace.com/templeofblood
http://www.templeofblood.net
Temple of Blood
Prog-Rock-Fan

BeitrÀge: 130

Beitragvon Guest_big mouth » 18. Juli 2006, 23:47

Thanks so much for everything Prof! I'll check out all that stuff soon!
Guest_big mouth

ZurĂŒck zu English speaking SACRED METAL-Forum