Something to think about

Fans and Musicians who can't read/understand German but want to contribute to this page - here's your sacred place!

Here you can also find the official SNAKEPIT forum entries...

Beitragvon steelreign » 16. November 2005, 21:39

This is something that really pisses me off sometimes.... I see reviews that deduct points from a possible great score because of the dreaded 'lack of originality.' Well, I say, if the music is crushing and well done, WHO FUCKING CARES!?! Anyone that has ever released an album has 'borrowed' ideas from some place. I say that if the material is ripping and well written, I could care less if a band sounds like something else. Anyone else agree?
steelreign
St.Anger-Gutfinder

BeitrÀge: 58

Beitragvon Michael@SacredMetal » 16. November 2005, 21:56

Yeah, cool question!
For all the words unspoken, for all the deeds undone,
for all our shattered dreams, for all the songs unsung,
for all the lines unwritten and all our broken hearts,
for all our wounds still bleeding and all our kingdoms come.
Michael@SacredMetal
M e r c y f u l F a t e

BeitrÀge: 12509

Beitragvon big mouth » 16. November 2005, 22:12

So true.... all I want from a band is ass kicking/ well written stuff. I like as much a band like ANACRUSIS than a band like let's say.... HELLHAMMER -unless HELLHAMMER can be labelled as original?!
big mouth
Progressive-Metal-Sammler

BeitrÀge: 419

Beitragvon Prof » 16. November 2005, 23:35

Really, who cares if something's is 'original'? That's for those idiots of the trendy music press to decide - I couldn't care less.
As far as I'm concerned, quality is all that matters and by quality I mean that something sounds good, that there's craftsmanship, heaviness, melodies, good riffs and genuine metal flavour there. No doubt every discerning metalhead owns tons of albums that can be attributed to a certain style - to me, that's a PLUS. In my collection, for instance, there's lots of stuff that sounds like US power in the old Queensryche/Lethal/Crimson Glory-tradition. When QR themselves decided to become, how shall I put this, 'original' and (oops, careful, the I-word), 'innovative', I stopped buying their records.
In short: beer isn't very original either, but I like it a lot.
Prof
Traveller

BeitrÀge: 11845

Beitragvon Jeff Ulmer » 17. November 2005, 00:27

I guess it depends on just what is counted for originality. If a band is blatently ripping off someone else's style, I don't see that as appealing, but if there are hints of the influences present, and the band comes up with some interesting ideas, then fine. One of my favorite new discoveries, Eloy, has songs which pull from many familiar sounds/styles, but they do it well.

Claiming something is original can be dangerous, especially if you haven't been exposed to all the music that may have provided inspiration to the artist.
<b><a href='http://www.othyrworld.com' target='_blank'>Othyrworld</a> | <a href='http://www.myspace.com/othyrworld' target='_blank'>Othyrworld on MySpace</a> | <a href='http://www.othyrworld.com/sacred_blade' target='_blank'>Sacred Blade</a> | <a href='http://www.myspace.com/129175431' target='_blank'>Sacred Blade on MySpace</a></b>
Jeff Ulmer
Haarsprayrocker

BeitrÀge: 75

Beitragvon NegatroN » 20. November 2005, 19:21

Jeff Ulmer hat geschrieben: I guess it depends on just what is counted for originality. If a band is blatently ripping off someone else's style, I don't see that as appealing, but if there are hints of the influences present, and the band comes up with some interesting ideas, then fine.

I agree to that. Surely every musician has influences and uses them in his songs - conciously and (more often) unconsciously. That's totally OK. But he should at least try to really "create" something and not just copy stuff that he likes. I don't like bands that settle for music of which they know that it works (because others also played it successfully). In my eyes that is not artistry. There is no sense in just using the same riffs and styles for 1001st time. When I feel like listening to early Maiden stuff I put Killers in the player and no other band that just sounds like early Maiden. Where would be the point in that?
Death to false New Metal!
NegatroN
Villain-EP-Original-Besitzer

BeitrÀge: 884

ZurĂŒck zu English speaking SACRED METAL-Forum