CLOVEN HOOF material

Fans and Musicians who can't read/understand German but want to contribute to this page - here's your sacred place!

Here you can also find the official SNAKEPIT forum entries...

Beitragvon big mouth » 28. August 2005, 02:49

I never give much intezrest on C. HOOF over the years for different reasons -partly because of bad reviews back then- but recently I came across "A Sultan's Random" and fuck I was surprised..it reminded me of DEAF DEALER on many aspects.... really powerful, a good dose of speed sometimes and excelmlent singing... "D.V.R.3 if I'm correct just rips.... but I think I heard another CD done as bootleg as well recently and it wasn't that hot.... do you recommend me more on this band in the same greeat style as "A Sultan's..."? What about the show they did at KIT or HOA recently???? Was it mostly "a sultan's.." material performed?
big mouth
Progressive-Metal-Sammler

BeitrÀge: 419

Beitragvon Kiss of Death » 28. August 2005, 17:50

The Dominator LP from 1988 (one year before Sultan...) is in the same vein
The first S/T album from 1983 and the first EP from 82 "Opening Ritual" sound more like classic NWOBHM, despite some killer songs like Gates of Gehenna or Return of the Passover are Epic Metal milestones.
They performed a killer set at KIT IV with all the classics, with a classic line up.
Since then the singer and the original guitarist have left the band and the mp3 files I have heard from the frthcoming album is nothing less than trendy shit, destroying the image of one of the most impressive NWOBHM band ever.
But you're right Laurent, A Sultan Ransom is probably their best album.

There's also a live album (2nd LP "Fighting Back") which has only unreleased songs on it, a very good one as well.

The CD reissue of the first self titled album features the BBC session they did.
The first EP "Opening Ritual" is a big collector item, changing hands for big money
Kiss of Death
NU-Metaller

BeitrÀge: 5

Beitragvon big mouth » 30. August 2005, 14:21

Thanks alot for your explicit reply! I'm gonna give a shot at "Dominator" when I'll be able to find a copy...... I was really surprised by "Sultan's" and I'm surprised Malcolm (NWOBHM Book) didn't give it a better response?!).
By the way did they perform songs from THAT album at the KIT? Alot of 'em or was it stuff from the early albums?
big mouth
Progressive-Metal-Sammler

BeitrÀge: 419

Beitragvon Guest » 30. August 2005, 19:23

I think they did a few from Sultan....but they mostly played songs from the first S/T LP and Dominator

ZurĂŒck zu English speaking SACRED METAL-Forum